The ultimate guide
Whether you’re a college student juggling several classes, assignments and team practices, a busy professional with multiple looming deadlines or a stay-at-home parent who has a never-ending list of places to be and things to do, you can benefit from a digital calendar app. However, with the limited time you do have, you likely don’t want to spend it reviewing dozens of calendar app reviews to find the best fit for you. That’s where we come in.
As a company comprised of some of the world’s top productivity experts, we thought it fitting to streamline the digital calendar research process on your behalf. In this guide, you’ll gain a comprehensive overview of When2Meet, a super simple digital tool that takes the hassle out of the often-painful task of getting a large group of people to agree on the date and time of a meeting. In each section, you’ll discover how to use When2Meet and learn about the various benefits and limitations of this site.
Learn more about When2Meet and how it compares to other popular digital calendar apps, such as the one we offer at Woven. To quickly make a decision regarding the best calendar app for your particular needs, review the comprehensive guide below.
Who We Are
Our team at Woven is comprised of the top productivity experts from Google, Facebook, SquareSpace, and others. Woven's original vision was to help individuals reimagine how they used their time so they could spend what of the precious commodity they did have on what matters most to them. Though we started with helping people make scheduling easier within their calendar, we do so much more.
The Woven calendar app makes it possible to perform all the functions of scheduling in one fell swoop. From planning to scheduling, and from preparation to meeting to follow up, you can see and manage every stage of the calendar lifecycle on one screen.
What is When2Meet?
When2Meet is a web-based calendar designed to take the hassle out of coordinating events in which a large number of people are involved. Via this platform, event participants can input the times and dates they’re free to meet and view others’ availability as well. This allows the group to decide on a time that is convenient for all. The app is super simple in its purpose and its functionalities.
When2Meet is a free service available to anyone who wishes to create a survey and participate in a meeting. Ads help to cover the cost of operations, as do donations from happy users. Because it is a free app, it doesn’t feature super advanced functionalities and is popular with younger crowds, such as college students and aspiring entrepreneurs.
Want a FREE alternative to When2Meet?
How To Login To When2Meet
When2Meet offers users the ability to login by inputting a name and an optional passwords. However, this feature seems to serve no real purpose and actually creates more confusion than it resolves. This is the case for two reasons:
- You can use When2Meet on several different occasions and never have to login with the same set of credentials. The password you initially choose to use has no effect on your future experiences. In fact, the feature is so basic it has virtually no memorability, thereby rendering a password useless.
- The site doesn’t request that you enter a simple “password,” but rather, that you enter an “optional password.” Again, because the site feature virtually zero memorability, it doesn’t make sense why a user would need to enter an optional password.
That said, though we’re as confused by the optional nature of a password, the platform’s creator claims it serves a purpose. Apparently the creator wanted to create a platform that was as simple to use as possible and that did not require users to input a bunch of private information. However, he or she realized that some event participants might think it “funny” to mess with others’ schedules or availability. To prevent this from occurring, users have the option of including a password to keep others with the same survey link from changing their responses.
How to Set Up When2Meet
Once a user inputs his or her email address and optional password, they’re taken to a page that has two graphs: One that shows the individual user’s availability and one that shows the group’s. Adjusting personal availability is simple, as it utilizes an intuitive drag-and-drop system. The entire graph starts out as pink, with “Available” days highlighted in green. To turn time slots and dates green, the user just drags his or her mouse over the desired cells. Voila! That’s it. As soon as a user updates his or her availability, the group’s availability chart will update in real time. Users can also hover over a block of time to visualize, in numeric form, when everyone is available to meet.
Despite having few memory capabilities, When2Meet does not require users to click a “Save” button before exiting. This may worry first-time users who have not experience with the platform. The site does inform users of this functionality by including text that says, “Click and drag to toggle; saves immediately,” above their personal calendars. However, because the note is small, it is easy for one to overlook it. The platform could benefit by making the notification more prominent across the top.
Advanced When2Meet Functionality
As previously mentioned, When2Meet is a very simple interface that offers the barebones of what is required for scheduling and nothing more. Because of this, it does not feature any advanced functionalities. That said, it could benefit from a few additional features:
- Integration With Google Calendar: If When2Meet allowed users to integrate their event with Google Calendars, there would be no need for users to have to update their availability. Google would do it for them. This would effectively do away with the issue of waiting for everyone to update their calendars.
- Confirmation Emails: When person creates an event, he or she gets a unique event link to send to others. This link is the only way a person can access the event page and without it, the event becomes lost. Confirmation emails would negate the need for event participants to write down the event link or store it via some other digital means, as the email could contain the specific link. Confirmation emails would also participants to receive real-time notifications regarding the availability of the group.
- Repeat Availability: Some users like to get an idea of others’ schedules a month out. Though When2Meet provides this capability, selecting available dates is inefficient. For instance, the platform lacks the ability for users to repeat a day’s availability. For instance, if a user is free every Thursday between 10 am and 2 pm, he or she would have to click those time slots for every Thursday of the month.
- Mobile Optimization: The mobile site looks and functions just like the web version, which also isn’t very efficient. Because a mobile screen is so much smaller than a desktop screen, dragging and toggling proves to be difficult for mobile users.
In addition to adding the aforementioned capabilities, When2Meet would benefit from a makeover. Though looks aren’t everything, the site is noticeably dated. It is apparent that the creator had little resources (time and money) to devote to the project and that it continues to remain underfunded, if it receives funding at all.
That said, its limitations don’t exactly detract from the site’s sole purpose, which is to coordinate meeting times between large groups of people. That it does well which, for many, is all that matters.
With Woven, everything you need is all in one app. Try Woven now.
Frequently Asked Questions About Doodle
How many members can you host via a single When2Meet event?
There doesn’t appear to be any limitations regarding how many members you may invite with a single link.
What’s up with the “Optional Password”?
As mentioned above, the creator of When2Meet wanted to give users the option of privacy. Though outsiders cannot access an event without the event link, participants of an event can change others’ availability. Users can protect their individual calendars by using a password to lockout others with the same link.
Why might you choose to use When2Meet over other, more advanced calendar apps?
It’s obvious that When2Meet is lacking in several regards, especially when compared to today’s more advanced and “prettier” calendar platforms. However, happy users cite a few notable benefits of choosing When2Meet over, say, Woven or Doodle.
For one, because When2Meet does not require users to input any private data, there is no risk that hackers will misappropriate that data for their own malicious purposes. This benefit may be one reason the site hasn’t collaborated with Google Calendars, as doing so would do away with this benefits.
Two, what makes many question the appeal of When2Meet may also be what attracts several others: its simplicity. When2Meet is easy to use even for everyone, regardless of their technological capabilities. If you want to coordinate an event between a diverse group of people and without having to explain a myriad of capabilities, When2Meet may be the best way to do so.
Finally, When2Meet is free. If you don’t anticipate ever needing a calendar platform save for scheduling one-off events, this interface is all you really need.
Experience a Smarter When2Meet With Woven
By far the best free alternative to When2Meet, however, is Woven. Woven allows you to schedule even the most complex events in a matter of seconds and eliminates the back and forth that often comes with meeting planning. Some advantages Woven has over When2Meet and other competitors are as follows:
- Ability to provide invitees with event-specific materials such as related emails, private notes and tags
- Map-view with travel planning, to ensure you have enough time to get from point A to point B between meetings
- Time analytics, to help you prevent scheduling conflicts
- Fully integrated scheduling links that come with a real-time view of your availability
- MyTime, which identifies and resolves conflicts across all your integrated calendar apps, not just Woven
- Woven is free
Read Our Other Comprehensive Calendar Guides
- Woven Guide to Google Calendar
- Woven Guide to Outlook Calendar
- Woven Guide to Apple Calendar
- Woven Guide to Yahoo Calendar
Read Our Other Calendar Tool Tutorials
- The Ultimate Guide to Calendly
- The Ultimate Guide to Doodle
- The Ultimate Guide to Acuity
- The Ultimate Guide to ScheduleOnce
Unleash the Power of Woven
Explore all that Woven can do for you. Sign up for FREE to take advantage of Woven’s smart templates, scheduling links, availability sharing and more.